Chrome Remote Desktop is a free service provided by Google. We recommend it for quickly and securely accessing your work device from home or while you’re traveling.
You will need:
- An active Google or Gmail account
- Google Chrome installed
- Admin download permissions
Installing the Google Remote Desktop App on Your Work PC
- Open Google Chrome and go to remotedesktop.google.com.
- On the homepage, click “Remote Access” in the top right.
- In the “Set up remote access” section, click the blue “download” icon.
- A Chrome Web Store window opens, click the blue “Add to Chrome” button.
- Click “Add extension”.
- A file will begin downloading that will install the Google Remote Desktop Service. It’s a service that runs in the background of your PC at all times and allows you to make connections to this PC from other devices using Chrome Remote Desktop.
- When it’s done, click “Accept & Install”.
- In the “Open download” window, click “Yes”
- Note: You will need admin permission to complete the install.
- It will ask you for a name for the device, you can simply call it “Work PC” or whatever you see fit.
Setting your PIN
You will be asked to enter an 8-digit PIN. This PIN will be used to log into this device remotely. Unless you choose the option to save the PIN, you will be asked for it every time you connect.
If your PIN is forgotten, there is no method to recover it, you simply must log in to Chrome Remote Desktop on the device you forgot the pin for and set a new one.
This adds a layer of security to Chrome Remote Desktop. Even if your Google account is compromised, they would need to know your PINS to access any of your devices that you have setup for Remote Desktop.
There is no way to recover the PIN, it can only be changed.
After you have set your pin, you are done on this device.
Connecting from Your Remote PC
On your remote or home PC, navigate to remotedesktop.google.com. You will see your work PC under “Remote Devices”. All you need to do is click the device name, then enter your PIN, and a tab will open viewing your work PC. When this tab is active, your mouse and keyboard will control your work PC just like you were at your workstation.
The default view will be a split view where it shows all the monitors connected to the PC. You can adjust this view using the blue arrow on the side of the chrome tab, which will give you all your options for modifying your remote session, including a setting for which displays to view.
Now that you have setup and test Chrome Remote Desktop, you are done! You are now able to access your work device remotely.
If you need any assistance with Chrome Remote Desktop, contact us at [email protected]