How many times have you been trying to work from home and you realized you left that one crucial file on your office computer? Or, you really don’t...
How to Access Your Work PC from Home with Google Chrome Remote Desktop
We recommend Google Chrome Remote Desktop for quickly and securely accessing your work device from home or while you’re traveling. Here's how to set it up.
Do you have employees who work a hybrid schedule? They may work in the office for a few days and spend the rest of the week working from home. Or, they may travel for work and need access to important files on their work computer. They need an easy way to access files for the big sales presentation or to work on the quarterly report. Enter: Google Chrome Remote Desktop.
Google Chrome Remote Desktop to the Rescue
Chrome Remote Desktop is a free service provided by Google. We recommend it for quickly and securely accessing your work device from home or while you’re traveling.
You will need:
- An active Google or Gmail account
- Google Chrome installed
- Admin download permissions
Installing the Google Chrome Remote Desktop App on Your Work PC
- Open Google Chrome and go to remotedesktop.google.com.
- On the homepage, click “Remote Access” in the top right.
- In the “Set up remote access” section, click the blue “download” icon.
- A Chrome Web Store window opens, click the blue “Add to Chrome” button.
- Click “Add extension”.
- A file will begin downloading that will install the Google Remote Desktop Service. It’s a service that runs in the background of your PC at all times and allows you to make connections to this PC from other devices using Chrome Remote Desktop.
- When it’s done, click “Accept & Install”.
- In the “Open download” window, click “Yes”
- Note: You will need admin permission to complete the installation.
- It will ask you for a name for the device, you can simply call it “Work PC” or whatever you see fit.
Setting your PIN
You will be asked to enter an 8-digit PIN. This PIN will be used to log into this device remotely. Unless you choose the option to save the PIN, you will be asked for it every time you connect.
If your PIN is forgotten, there is no method to recover it, you simply must log in to Chrome Remote Desktop on the device you forgot the pin for and set a new one.
This adds a layer of security to Google Chrome Remote Desktop. Even if your Google account is compromised, they would need to know your PINS to access any of the devices that you have set up for Remote Desktop.
There is no way to recover the PIN, it can only be changed.
After you have set your pin, you are done on this device.
Connecting from Your Remote PC
On your remote or home PC, navigate to remotedesktop.google.com. You will see your work PC under “Remote Devices.” All you need to do is click the device name, then enter your PIN, and a tab will open viewing your work PC. When this tab is active, your mouse and keyboard will control your work PC just like you were at your workstation.
The default view will be a split view which shows all the monitors connected to the PC. You can adjust this view using the blue arrow on the side of the chrome tab, which will give you all your options for modifying your remote session, including a setting for which displays to view.
Now that you have set up and tested Google Chrome Remote Desktop, you are done! You are now able to access your work device remotely.
Need More IT Help?
If you need any assistance with Google Chrome Remote Desktop, contact us.
We've helped small businesses grow with tailored technology solutions for more than 20 years. Want to improve your organization's relationship to technology? Click the image below and get in touch.